Thursday, December 15, 2005

Population

You may recall after the 2004 election seeing a map redrawn to reflect where the country's population lived rather than the actual geography.

I recently came across a similar map showing the world's population spread. It's somewhat astounding to see the visual reminder of where the U.S. ranks in relation to other places in the world. The overwhelming color on that map is definitely not North America.

Sometimes I think our head knows this, but it doesn't always sink in. As I'm often reminded during flying as I look down at the twinkling lights of the villages passing beneath, the world is a big place. And we are very small in comparison.

1 comment:

Greg McConnell said...

One of the countries that really stands out to me on that map is Japan. It's so big relative to its geographic size.