Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring

That famous bookreads,
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity... it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us...
And so it is in March. As spring fever begins to 'spring' into our consciousness, the best time of year rolls around. March has always been my favorite month for a few reasons. It is in March that one of the best sporting events of the year, the NCAA tournament, begins its mad action. In March, the weather begins to warm and the promise of another summer is again unveiled. In March, a new baseball season begins and the NBA gears up for playoffs. And, of course, in March I turn another year older.

But so many Marches, there is also a time when things are not the best. For in any tournament, there is only one winner. And on this grand stage that the NCAA tourney is, my team has never gone home the winner. And thus, every spring is marked too with an inevitable realization that I must wait until next year to see sports dreams realized. For the moment at least, I am disappointed.

As Greg intimates below, we have seen the end of an era at Illinois, but I look forward to being back in the national spotlight soon.

2 comments:

Greg McConnell said...

Westy, one time I remember you saying your favorite jingle was the one played over and over by CBS' during the basketball tourney. For me, I've always been partial to NBC's NBA playoff jingle... BTW, has ABC kept that jingle???

Anyway, nice post. I like this time of year for sports too. (Although, I like sports pretty much any time of year... heheh.)

Oneway the Herald said...

NBC's playoff music was magical, man.

Go Bradley.