Friday, May 13, 2005

Sid

Today's post is all about reminiscing. I grew up in Minnesota and some of my fondest memories are of listening to sports on the radio (especially since my household did not have a TV).
I remember listening to Ray Christensen calling Gophers football and basketball games as we drove across the autumn or winter Minnesota countryside.
I remember listening to Herb Carneal and John Gordon calling Twins games as they marched to their two World Series victories.
But, when you think of sports in Minnesota, there is one person who tops the list.
Almost everyone in Minnesota knows him--a Minnesota celebrity right up there with Garrison Keillor. And he is known only as Sid.
He is the hall of fame broadcaster, Sid Hartman. In this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, there is a column about Sid, which gives you a taste of his unique style. Sid has long (since 1945) been a fixture in the Minneapolis Star Tribune and on the air at WCCO.
So today, in honor of my memories, whatever you think of Sid, here's to Minnesota sports, which wouldn't be the same without him.

No comments: